Criminal gangs are increasingly stealing cargo from trucks. Unfortunately, transport companies do not report incidents often enough. Reports increase the chance of suspects being arrested or cargo being found. Reports can also help prevent cargo theft in the future. Do you as drivers face cargo theft? Then make sure you know what to do. We have listed some tips for you.
7 tips on what to do if you are a victim of theft
- Stay calm.
- Remember what the robbers look like and – if possible – get the registration of their vehicle.
- If abroad, report the incident to the (local) police as soon as possible. In the EU, in the event of a flagrante delicto call 112.
- Contact your employer and – if you are abroad – your embassy or consulate.
- Check what has been stolen but without erasing any traces left in the process.
- Take photographs of the damage caused, the loading space and the surrounding area.
- Make sure that the police collect trace evidence at the scene of the crime. This is necessary for insurance purposes.